Fabian Hamilton’s CV
- Fabian Has represented Leeds North East since 1997.
- He was born in London in 1955 and educated at Brentwood School in Essex and at York University where he gained a BA in Politics, Sociology and Economics.
- He met Rosy, a fellow student at York, and they married in 1980. They now have three grown up children and one grandchild.
- In 1979 they moved to Leeds, where Fabian set up his Graphic Design business and joined the Labour Party.
- Fabian served as a Member of Leeds City Council for Wortley from 1989 until 1997
- As a city councillor Fabian chaired the Race Equality Committee from 1988 to 1994, the Employment and Economic Development Committee from 1994 until 1996 and the Education Committee from 1996 to 1997.
- Since his election to Parliament in 1997 Fabian has spoken on a wide range of subjects in the House of Commons, including Alternative fuels, the Middle East, Homeworking, the Equitable Life scandal to name but a few. From 2001 to 2010 he was a member of the influential Commons Foreign Affairs Select Committee which helped to strengthen his knowledge of the Middle East, Iran, Cyprus, Japan, Korea, Russia, China and Tibet.
- Following the 2010 election Fabian joined the Political and Constitutional Reform Select Committee.
- During 2012, Fabian served as part of the Shadow Treasury Team as Parliamentary Private secretary to Rachel Reeves, Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury.
- In 2013 Fabian became a member of the Select Committee on International Development. He felt privileged to be able to witness many of the extraordinary projects on to which Britain contributes in some of the poorest countries in the world.
- In January 2016 Fabian was invited by Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn to become a Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs working with Hilary Benn MP the Shadow Foreign Secretary. He has specific responsibility for Sub-Saharan Africa, the Indian Sub-Continent, the United Nations and NATO.
- Over the years, Fabian has chaired a number of All Party Parliamentary Groups (APPGs). These are made up of members of all political parties in both Houses, and exist to promote understanding of specific issues within Parliament. In the past, he has been Chair or Vice-Chair of the APPGs for Turkey, Iran, Tibet, Iceland, Japan and Morocco. Now his current role as Shadow Minister means that he is no longer able to be actively involved with groups with an interest in specific countries.
- He continues to chair the APPG for Hospices and Palliative Care and is co-chair of the APPG for Justice for Equitable Life Pensioners.
- As MP for Leeds North East Fabian has supported a very wide range of national and local causes. His office has now helped over 20,000 constituents with their problems.
- In his spare time, Fabian is a keen cyclist and spends a week each summer raising money for charity by cycling around Britain and Europe. For details of this year’s project, please go to https://www.justgiving.com/user/746231